- Focus on business outcome
- Deliver on time, ensuring early ROI
- Prioritised work according to business needs
- Users accommodate change as part of fixed timescale
- Quality is not compromised; not over/under engineered
- Iterative lifecycle for the evolving solution that satisfies the project’s objectives
- Timeboxes, with clearly specified outcomes leading to control for PM & team
- Clearly defined roles
- Work is divided into timeboxes with immovable deadlines & agreed outcomes
EDUF = Enough Design Up Front
Fixed time, budget and quality at Foundations phase, with contingency managed by flexing the features to be delivered in agreement with stakeholders in accordance with MoSCoW rules
MoSCoW and timeboxing ensure Minimum Useable Subset is guaranteed to be delivered on time and in budget.
Quality is fixed in because acceptance criteria is agreed before development commences.
Atern uses a high level Development Plan:
- Divided into Increments
- Defining how many development Timeboxes are needed to produce the requirements for each increment
- With deployments where the Evolving Solution is integrated into normal business
- Development Timeboxes, where development & production takes place
- Planned in detail just before work commences
*Timebox = fixed amount of time
To benefit from experience, wherever possible, plans should be created just before they are needed!