Process where delivery of a product results from repeated cycle of development activity.
Each execution of the cycle yields a result successively closer to desired outcome.
- Identify what they need to achiever in this iteration
- Plan how they are going to do it
- Evolve the products in question in accordance with their plan
- Review the outcome with a view to determining whether another iteration is required
Control needs to demonstrated, & recommends using:
- Timebox control; recommends three iterations: Investigation, Refinement, Consolidation
- Timebox Review Records; which should be kept under formal configuration management to provide audit trail of how product evolved
- Daily standups. Brief. Discuss progress & what to do if anything is blocking progress
- Solution Review Records (optional), form basis for tracking issues, also need CM
- SDT, provided they can demonstrate control, are expected to left to get on with their work.
- Management by exception
- Solution Foundations with agreed scope & priorities, & properly defined Acceptance Criteria should form basis for control